It isn’t always easy to be honest. Especially for those that like to keep the peace! There are always thoughts, feelings, and emotions swirling around inside…but it may not feel safe to share those thoughts, feelings, and emotions with certain people or in certain situations. Maybe you have a hard time sharing honest feedback with co-workers or superiors. Or perhaps you haven’t been able to muster up the courage to tell an old friend that he really hurt your feelings during that last get-together. Is it time to communicate more honestly? There are many tools and affirmations to use as you walk down a new path that is focused on self-discovery and openness.
Why Is It Important to Communicate More Honestly?
There is truly nothing better than honest communication. As long as you approach a conversation in a calm manner and maintain an atmosphere of respect…sharing how you feel can be extremely beneficial. Not only does it allow you to feel heard, but honest communication can create a stronger bond between you and another person. For instance, opening up to your aunt about a long-standing issue that has been bubbling under the surface can allow both you and your aunt to express emotions, find resolution, and re-built the relationship. While it may be easier to sweep things under the rug in the short-term, it is always a better long-term solution to communicate more honestly. Here are a few ways to overcome common communication blocks.
Clear Your Throat Chakra
One of the most obvious signs of a blocked or out of balance throat chakra is an inability to communicate clearly. Physical symptoms may also occur, such as a sore throat or hoarseness. In these cases, it is extremely beneficial to spend time clearing and balancing your throat chakra. It can lead to easier communication and an increased ability to be open and honest. Are you ready to communicate more honestly and balance your throat chakra? There are several ways to go about this. For instance, simply singing along to a song that you love can be beneficial. This connects you to your body and allows you to express emotions through your voice. Singing is an extraordinarily powerful experience, so be sure to choose a song that expresses some of the emotions that you have been holding onto lately.
Additional ways to clear this chakra include: visualizing or wearing the colour blue (this colour is associated with the throat chakra), listening to a guided meditation, journaling some of the feelings you have been holding back, doing neck stretches, trying out some breath work, or participating in a healing reiki session. Once your throat chakra is brought back into alignment, it will be much easier for you to express how you feel in a healthy manner.
Use Crystals for Communication and Openness
Another great way to focus your attention on honesty is to make use of crystal therapy. Blue stones (such as lapis lazuli and turquoise) work well to bring balance to your throat chakra. However, there are many other useful crystals that can be used as well. Some great examples of stones that make it easier to communicate more honestly include: amethyst (which has to do with understanding and trust), blue lace agate (for improved articulation), citrine (for manifestation and personal will), aquamarine (linked to courage and protection), and blue calcite (helps to calm strong emotions). There are so many possibilities, so be sure to take a look at your crystal collection and find a suitable stone that speaks to your needs.
Once you have found the crystal that you intend to use in order to communicate more honestly, there are many things you can do. A few examples? Meditate with the stone (or stones), place them around your home, or take them with you when you need to have a difficult conversation.
Do Healing Exercises to Work Through Strong Emotions
Depending on the situation, you might be experiencing feelings of anger, resentment, or guilt. Whenever you feel strong emotions, it is important to find healthy ways to release them. One suggestion is to do healing exercises and meditations at home. For example, the Louise Hay Forgiveness Meditation (which you can listen to here) uses visualization and positive affirmations to help you address issues, acknowledge your feelings, and release them with love. This can be very beneficial and also allows you to communicate how you feel in a safe setting.
It is also important to consider why you may be struggling with honesty and communication. Is there one person that triggers this issue or is it more widespread? Take time to journal your feelings or speak to someone you trust. Alternatively, there are many questions to ask yourself that can help you work through strong emotions and begin the process of healing. Answer the following questions on paper or out loud to get started:
- Have you always had difficulty with communication and honesty? If so, can you remember a time when communication was easy for you?
- Is there anyone in your life that makes honest communication seem impossible? What traits do they possess that seem to hinder your ability to be open?
- In times of stress or strain, are you able to effectively communicate your needs? If not, what could you do to better express your needs to others?
- Are there situations where you do not feel you cannot be your true self? For instance, at large family gatherings or within a specific friend group? How can you avoid or limit those situations? If you are unable to avoid or limit those situations, brainstorm five coping mechanisms. Some examples include: repeating mantras or affirmations, wearing blue clothing or jewellery (for the throat chakra) or something red (for the root chakra, which is all about safety and stability), carrying crystals in your pocket or talking to a trusted friend or family member beforehand.
Affirmations to Communicate More Honestly
There are many reasons it can be difficult to communicate honestly. This might have to do with a fear of rejection, low self-esteem, being shy by nature or wanting to please others. The list goes on and on! If communication and honesty seem to be out of reach lately, positive affirmations can be beneficial. Our thoughts can impact everything from mood to overall confidence levels. Every time you think or say a positive affirmation, you are planting seeds for the future. On that note, here are a few affirmations based around honesty, which will increase your self-confidence and open you up to more truthful communication.
- It is safe for me to express my thoughts, feelings, and emotions.
- I value honesty in myself and in others.
- I use my voice to clearly express my wants and needs.
- My thoughts and feelings are always valid.
- I deserve to be heard. It is safe for me to be heard.
- My words make the world a better place.
- I appreciate myself and am a worthwhile person.
- It is safe for my thoughts, feelings, and emotions to guide me through life.
- I make informed choices and communicate all desires clearly.
- I love myself, trust myself, and am honest with myself and others.
It is time to express yourself… really express yourself. Use these tips, tricks, and positive affirmations to communicate more honestly and show the world who you truly are.