As summer starts to fade to fall, it is important to slow down and take time to reflect. Making time for yourself is always meaningful, but it is even more beneficial to do so before one season ends and another begins. The reality? Times of change and transition can be tough. This is true even when those changes are expected, like a change in season, for instance. During this time of the year, there can be changes in temperatures, weather conditions, schedules, and even finances. Instead of simply letting the days pass…be mindful about this period of transition and incorporate a little extra self-care into your routine. These affirmations and journal prompts will make it easier to look back, look ahead, and ensure that the summer season ends with gratitude.
How Affirmations and Journal Prompts Can Benefit Your Mood
It is easy to focus on the negative, fixate on anxieties, and spend an extraordinary amount of time dwelling on problems. Psychologists call this the negativity bias or the negativity effect. Events that are more negative in nature tend to have a greater impact than positive or neutral events. In short, we tend to feel negative emotions more intensely. That is why it is so important to actively seek out truth, gratitude, and positivity whenever possible. Affirmations are one way to do just that. Studies have shown that reciting or writing down affirmations can boost self-esteem and make you feel more at ease. Journaling is also a wonderful way to process, release, and refocus. What are you waiting for? This is the perfect time to welcome in the positive with some end of summer themed affirmations and journal prompts.
Affirmations for the End of the Summer Season
- I live each day with intention and gratitude.
- All change is for my greater good. I handle times of transition with ease.
- I take time to rest and recharge when I need to.
- The end of summer is a time of joy and fulfilment. I am grateful for sunny days!
- There are wonderful experiences ahead of me. I know the fall season will be memorable.
- I spend time in nature, because nature allows me to heal and grow.
- My thoughts are positive, my heart is full, and I love each day.
- I embrace endings and new beginnings. Hope fuels me.
- My mind is focused on positive outcomes.
- I have all the tools that I need to succeed. I give myself permission to enjoy the process.
Journal Prompts to Welcome in a New Season
- Many consider summer to be the best time of year. Is this how you view the season? Why or why not? Which season would you say is your favourite?
- Create your own highlight reel. Write down the best moments from the last few months. Maybe you went on a vacation, met up with an old friend, saw progress in your garden, added a new crystal to your collection, or completed an item on your bucket list. Create a point form list, write about each item in detail, or make a photo collage. Do whatever you need to do to remember those wonderful seasonal memories.
- What are you most looking forward to about the fall season? Do you have specific plans within the next few months? Are you eager for sweater weather and pumpkin spice lattes? Write down anything that fills you with joy about the next season.
- How do you normally deal with times of transition and change? Has it gotten easier or harder to deal with change over the last several years? Why do you think this may be?
- Is there anything left on your to do list for the summer? Create a plan so you can check off as many of those items as possible before the fall season officially arrives.
Even More Journal Prompts to Try
- What is it that you want or need that you haven’t made time for recently? Sometimes, the summer season is busier than expected. There are gatherings with friends, local events, and day-to-day responsibilities. Take time to consider what you have been craving lately. It might be a movie night at home, a spa day, or an opportunity to meditate. Once you know what you’ve been longing for, you can pencil it into your schedule.
- Is there a hobby you have always wanted to pick up? Write it down and then come up with a plan. Can you do a little research about this hobby? Can you invite a friend to try it with you? Whether you want to learn to garden, paint, or play guitar, there is no better opportunity to focus on something that interests you.
- Songs, poetry, and books are all incredibly meaningful. Write down the song lyric, line, or quote that best represents your life lately. What does this reveal about you?
- What are the most important aspects of your life right now? Work? Friends? Family? Home? Entertainment? Travel? Pets? Write down five things in your life that are a priority and then consider how you will continue to prioritize them.
- How have you improved your life this summer? How will you continue to grow, learn, and change as the fall season begins?
There are still a few weeks left of summer. So, make the most of it and be sure to prepare for the start of a new season with these affirmations and journal prompts.